Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Richard Schowengerdt, R.I.P. (1930-2021)

It saddens me to announce that Richard Schowengerdt, the visionary scientist featured so prominently in my 2015 book CHAMELEO, passed away on the morning of Dec. 24 at the age of 91. Soon after Richard and I met in March of 2006, we discovered we had a great deal in common and became very close friends. Melissa and I gave our daughter the middle name "Emiko" in honor of Richard's wife, who survives him. Richard lived a wonderfully strange, dramatic life filled with intrigue, wonder, romance, and tragedy; he often found himself riding a wave of improbable twists and turns that most people experience only vicariously through TV shows and blockbuster films. For that reason, perhaps I shouldn't have been at all surprised when a full rainbow appeared in the sky as I wrote his name in the sand on Christmas Eve....

 


Rest assured, I'll be writing much more about Richard and his many achievements in the near future. 

In the meantime, if you'd like to hear Richard talking about his breakthrough innovations in optical-camouflage technology in his own words, I suggest listening to this 2-4-19 edition of Geoff Brady's IN OTHER NEWS, a radio show that airs weekly on WBAI in New York. 

Rest In Peace, Richard....

No comments:

Post a Comment