Monday, May 1, 2023

Cryptozoology Corner

From Gregory Forth's 4-26-23 SAPIENS article entitled "On Flores Island, Do 'Ape-Men' Still Exist?"

DURING ETHNOGRAPHIC FIELDWORK on the Indonesian island of Flores between 1984 and 2003, I recorded local accounts of small-bodied, ape-like humans who reportedly lived on the island. When the discovery of the fossil hominin Homo floresiensis was announced in 2004, I was taken aback by the remarkable resemblance between the locally described “ape-men” and paleoanthropological reconstructions of the late Pleistocene fossils. Exploring how this correspondence might be explained, I continued my investigations during 10 subsequent field trips between 2005 and 2018. The result is my 2022 book. The following excerpted essay is from the book’s first chapter....

To read the entire article, click HERE.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment