Tuesday, April 11, 2023

John Coulthart on Umberto Eco & H.P. Lovecraft

From John Coulthart's 4-10-23 { feuilleton } blog post entitled "Eco Calls on Cthulhu":

Umberto Eco nods fleetingly to the Cthulhu Mythos near the end of his second novel, Foucault's Pendulum. I’d show you more of the relevant passage (below) but it’s rather spoilerish if you haven’t read the book. This turned up during a re-reading, my first since the novel appeared in paperback in 1990. A reference like this doesn’t stand out as much as it might elsewhere, not when the text that precedes it is stuffed to the gills with esoterica. Several hundred pages of occult history made me forget that Eco had hauled Lovecraft into his compendious fabulation along with everything else.

Ishmael Reed was responsible for returning me to Eco’s novel as a result of an earlier re-read of Mumbo Jumbo, Reed’s fictional account of voodoo, jazz, politics and many other things in the America of the 1920s. Eco was already in mind prior to this since I’d been working my way through his essays and lectures [...]. Mumbo Jumbo's exploration of occult knowledge and occult conspiracy summoned vague memories of Foucault’s Pendulum, which made me realise that I didn’t remember very much at all about Eco’s novel even though both books share an interest in the tangled history of the Knights Templar. To the top of the pile it went....

To read Coulthart's entire post, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment