Monday, November 20, 2017

Quote of the Day

"Ah, I begin to understand," said the Wizard, nodding his head.  "But I have another question to ask:  How does it happen that the Thists have no King to rule over them?"

"Hush!" whispered the High Coco-Lorum, looking uneasily around to make sure they were not overheard.  "In reality, I am the King, but the people don't know it.  They think they rule themselves, but the fact is I have everything my own way.  No one else knows anything about our laws, and so I make the laws to suit myself.  If any oppose me, or question my acts, I tell them it's the law, and that settles it.  If I called myself King, however, and wore a crown and lived in royal state, the people would not like me, and might do me harm.  As the High Coco-Lorum of Thi, I'm considered a very agreeable person."

"It seems a very clever arrangement," said the Wizard.


--L. Frank Baum, THE LOST PRINCESS OF OZ, 1917


No comments:

Post a Comment