Monday, December 16, 2019

Scott Timberg, R.I.P. (1969-2019)

Yesterday evening I learned about the premature death of journalist Scott Timberg, who passed away on Tuesday, December 10th at the age of fifty. Timberg wrote for the LOS ANGELES REVIEW OF BOOKS, the LOS ANGELES TIMES, THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, the NEW YORK TIMES, and SALON. In January of 2015, Yale University Press released Timberg's award-winning nonfiction book, CULTURE CRASH: THE KILLING OF THE CREATIVE CLASS


I didn't know Timberg personally, but we did have a lot of shared interests, not the least of which was the work of Philip K. Dick. In February of 2010, while working as a staff writer at THE LOS ANGELES TIMES, Timberg interviewed me about my use of PKD's novels as teaching tools in my English classes at CSU Long Beach. You can read Part 5 of Timberg's in-depth PKD article right HERE.

Read the HOLLYWOOD REPORTER'S 12-13-19 obituary for Timberg HERE, the LOS ANGELES REVIEW OF BOOKS' 12-16-19 obituary HERE, and Timberg's CULTURE CRASH blog HERE.

Timberg's insights about the overlooked byways of American pop culture will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment