Sunday, May 17, 2020

Tear Gas Ice Cream

From Nadia Lam and Alice Fung's 5-15-20 Insider article entitled "A Hong Kong Cafe Is Offering 'Tear Gas'-Flavored Ice Cream":
Tear gas is among the new flavors at a Hong Kong ice cream shop.
The main ingredient is black peppercorns, a reminder of the pungent, peppery rounds fired by police on the streets of the semi-autonomous Chinese city during months of demonstrations last year.
"It tastes like tear gas. It feels difficult to breathe at first, and it's really pungent and irritating. It makes me want to drink a lot of water immediately," said customer Anita Wong, who experienced tear gas at a protest.
"I think it's a flashback that reminds me of how painful I felt in the movement, and that I shouldn't forget."
The flavor is a sign of support for the pro-democracy movement, which is seeking to regain its momentum during the coronavirus pandemic, the shop's owner said.

To read the entire article, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment